Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tuesday Doings - Clutter Busters

This is the year when I really get rid of CLUTTER! Our family lost virtually everything we owned in a fire several years ago and I swore then that I would never again have "stuff" in my house... unfortunately it seems we have more "stuff" than we did at that time. How can that be?

Todays Clutter Busting Tip: Phone Books! 

One of the things I think a lot of us struggle with is The Phone Book. I always hear Steve Martin saying - "the new phone book is here, the new phone book is here" whenever I think of the phone book. While our family will look things up on the computer 90% of the time there are times the phone book does come in handy - however, we only need one of them and it always seems like we have way way more than that! They are like tribbles - they multiply... So here are a few ideas that I came across recently that will help us all do something with these huge yellow books...

Never want to get another Phone Book delivered to your house? Take your name off of the list!! Go here and take action! http://www.yellowpagesoptout.com/
You do have to register an actual working email address as they send you a link to opt out from. (Probably so no one registers friends and enemies.) Sometimes there are more than one company delivering phone books in your area, there are in mine - so you can register for every single phone book that is delivered in your zip code! "Pretty Cool" as Miley Cyrus would say!

Want to find out how to recycle your phone books? Enter your zip code at www.Earth911.com and you'll find all kinds of recycling centers in your area. Earth911 is a fantastic site about all things recyling so take a look if you never have before!

I thought this was a great idea! Since it's nearly impossible to find a phone booth, let alone a phone booth with a phone book in it -  carry a phone book in the trunk of your car to use while you are out and about, if you don't have an I-phone to look things up online. And if you end up someplace you need a step stool or a booster seat - you got one in the trunk!

And if you're interested in doing some crafting with your phone book - check this out! On the 3R's Blog they show you how to take your phone book and make it into a votive candle holder! I'd use  battery operated candles - but I've had a fire before! If you've never been to the 3R's Blog you might want to take a look at some of the other crafty recycling ideas they have!


On the recycling side of life I found out that I can take my disposable razors and other #5 plastics to Whole Foods and they have a recycle box for them! Check out Preserve Gimme 5 for more places you can take disposable razors, yogurt cups, butter containers - anything with a #5 on them! I hate throwing items away when they can be recycled. So now I'll put another small recycle tub in the laundry room to collect #5's and drop them off at Whole Foods. Less junk in the landfills!

The Recipe for today -  Chocolate Chip Cookies with Candied Bacon! You heard that right! These sound AWESOME!! A cookie for my dreams! I would not feel guilty at all for eating these at breakfast because there is bacon in them!! These surely are not a 1 point or even a 2 point food - but I do think they would be worth the extra points this week. I'll just have to do a lot more walking!! I'll let you know what I think after I make them. If you're interested in baking some for yourself visit the Primal Palate for the recipe.

Thought for Today
Those who can't forget are worse of than those who can't remember.

1 comment:

  1. I purged phone books a few months ago...and yes, there were WAY too many of them! Candied bacon? Seriously?

    ReplyDelete